As data scientists at BlueConduit, we use machine learning models, working with geospatial data from a variety of data sources, to predict health hazards in infrastructure. Our founding team members were first to build models to predict whether water pipes were made of lead in Flint. And we’ve expanded that to serve cities throughout North America, on both a for-profit and charitable basis. We are passionate about using data science for social good and improving equity.
- Assist with R&D to identify how to continue to scale the impact of BlueConduit’s predictive methods
- Integrate client data into internal software tools, generating predicted probabilities of likelihood of lead in pipes at any address
- Collect and catalogue relevant data from the web
- Participate and present in the BlueConduit Data Seminars (with internal, industry, and academic speakers)
- Be curious to learn and understands the human side of data science
- Be passionate about data science for social good and environmental justice
We are a small, remote, and growing team, so this is an excellent opportunity to grow into and shape your role at our company. The role provides opportunities for mentorship, growth and for stepping into leadership positions.
- Relevant coursework and or projects in data science/statistics, machine learning (including validation and evaluation of model performance), public health, epidemiology, geospatial information systems (GIS), or urban planning.
- Experience with data analysis in Python, especially Pandas, Scikit-learn, and Numpy
- Ability to present results clearly to non-technical audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for environmental justice and community well being, as the company continues to partner with communities, as it did in Flint, around the country.